Glimpses of Helsby Life

Friday, October 1, 2010

Discussions of Geographically Opinionated Individuals

As the two girls sat at the table this morning during art, I overheard a congenial, if not somewhat opinionated discussion that caught my attention.

Lauren (forgetting Megan has a combined total of 10 months of American living under her belt): Megan, do you like Tanzania or America better?

Megan: I like Tanzania better because I like the dogs here.

Lauren (horrified): Megan, the dogs are skinny and disgusting!

Megan: I didn’t mean the village dogs, I meant our dogs. Which do you like better?

Lauren: Well, I like here better because of the cute babies...
 and the good weather.


Megan: Yeah, and the balloons (we had a birthday party for Hannah yesterday).

Lauren: They have balloons in America. Lots of them.

Megan: Oh.

Which just goes to show that the learning curve as we head for the States in January is going to be steep!

White girls in their African world

4 comments:

  1. ugh- i just love your little family.
    Not sure if you'll get this, but I tried to call you today. ::sigh:: never works, but I like trying. Do you know where Okusemet is in TZ. Apparently its a 12 hour drive from Arusha. thats where I'm going to do medical tx. I was just secretly hoping that maybe it was just around the corner from you guys and I could take a taxi to you then spend a week or so and catch a ride back with Dan. I mean... that was some serious crazy high hoping. But I was thinking Dan was coming oh... the end of Oct? er... Nov 1st. Or... maybe I just spend a month with you until he comes at the end of Nov. I'm just really confused as to where this place is. I've googled the mess out of it and I'm getting NOTHING. let me know if you know where that is. maybe you can ask around or something. I sure would love coffee with you on your porch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so special... I love the matter of factness about liking Africa and the not knowing America on Megger's part. thanks for sharing... almost wish you didn't have to come back to America for Megan's sake =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this conversation! Any chance you'll be coming through Oklahoma again while you're in the US? We have a cute baby for the kids to see :)

    ReplyDelete