Glimpses of Helsby Life

Monday, February 14, 2011

Challenged with the WORD


Megan's wishes for our time: "Mom and dad, I love you.  I hope that you having a good time at the conference.  I love you."
Dave and I had the privilege of attending the Biblical Counseling Conference in Lafayette, IN last week. What a refreshing, encouraging, CHALLENGING kick in the back side! It was like drinking from a fire hose of information. So now the work actually begins, as we apply what we have learned to our lives. This was the second time we have been able to attend, and both times we have been overwhelmed with a renewed passion for the Word of God and prayer and desire for a deep and purposeful walk with GOD. We pray this overflows to our children and others in our lives.

A couple highlights from the conference that we learned or were reminded of:

Insight without change=hypocrisy; with knowledge comes great responsibility!

The CROSS—the foundation for all of life and helping others

Humility—we are all on level ground at the foot of the cross

Taking up our cross means all that dying to self entails. We are not taking up a weapon, we are taking up a means of death!

Gluttony is not always overeating, it is also demanding the food you want, how you want it (yikes)

Any laws we make for ourselves to be approved end in slavery. The only approval we have is being in Christ!

I want strong-willed children—children whose will can stand up against their emotions to do the right thing (and I want to be that way too!).

Worry is just taking on responsibility God never intended for us to have (Matt 6)

God’s mercy keeps us dependent on Him by physical or other weaknesses in our lives.

We resemble what we revere, either for ruin or restoration.

God’s will is my sanctification, which includes any and all kinds of trials, suffering, and difficulty.

And last, a great reality:

I really like being with my man, and we even got in several conversations in without an interruption!

Our family, by Megan.  Dave refuses to wear anything but his orange karate suit.
Back on the home front, Grammy had the kids busy doing crafts, running around, and eating candy.  They were happy to have us home (I think!) but they sure had a great week without us. And moms aren’t nearly as generous with the goodies as Grandmas are, so they are showing some withdrawal symptoms. What a great week for all of us. As Kelly Marple stated so succinctly, I think we “grew our brains out!”
Grammy and the boys (that is a decorative heart on her face)

The little girls' favorite pastime, until Kate drinks the soapy water.

2 comments:

  1. We just love your people. I mean really love them. Looking at pics of al of you from Christmas last night. :,( tear!
    love you guys glad you guys had such a great conference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the conference was a time of renewal for you both. And I love your statement about the kids having withdrawl symptoms from Grandma.

    So true.

    ReplyDelete