Glimpses of Helsby Life

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

More Travels

Very few people that I know are able to travel around as a family meeting amazing people. We are some of those privileged few! While traveling is sometimes tiring, we are so blessed to meet people from all across the spectrum, share with many different churches, and see the heart of the Body of Christ in many places. We feel like our family has the best of both worlds—being on the “front lines” of orphan care in Africa, and also being able to come back and see all that God is doing right here.
 
One of the highlights of our last trip was visiting our friends in Nebraska, Dean and Shanna. Having known eachother well for a long time, it was especially incredible to meet the newest members of their family—three children that have become a part of their family and whom they are hoping to adopt soon. God has definitely poured out His blessing on their faithful love and parenting of these three. Talk about orphan care up close and personal! We had a great time sharing at their church and their terrific congregation (and the potluck afterwards :)).
 

old friends having new fun together
 From Nebraska, we headed to South Dakota, stopping overnight at the Hofer’s house—longtime friends of Mavuno and parents of our great friend Ross. They spoiled us, and sent us on our way with lots of grandparent love and good SD cheese (there’s nothing like it!).
 We had one night in Sioux Falls, where we met with Christian Begeman, who made our Mavuno video. Christian’s office generously bought us pizza and showed us all around their commercial editing studio. That night we were able to share about Mavuno with a group of people from his church who are involved with orphan care. Like I said earlier, we have been amazed at who God has put in our path!
Christian at work

 Billings was our next stop, but we detoured to Mt. Rushmore. Dave and I had only been one other time, but I remembered it being worthwhile. I didn’t remember how incredible it actually is. I was so amazed, in fact, that the kids had to tell me to pipe down about it. :) The longer I’m away from America, the more patriotic I feel!
 Catching up with more friends in Billings for a day or so was so sweet—our little children now teenagers, and our fellowship just as rich as ever.

 Last stop, our friends the Brosts, who pray faithfully for us and also spoiled us all. Their goodies kept the girls busy for the rest of the two hours home.


 A good sign, especially at the end of 2200 miles!

What an honor to have these people in our lives!



1 comment:

  1. Email me again and remind me when you're coming here? I CAN'T WAIT!

    ReplyDelete