Our first ever Ladies' Night was a smashing success! We met together for pedicures, testimonies, and food (what better combo?!).
Us white girls found out that we are really the "washamba"--people of the fields--as we scraped at our callouses, while our African friends, who walk barefoot most of the time, produced these soft, clean feet (much to our dismay). As it turns out, they are faithful with their "foot rock" they keep in the shower for rubbing off the rough spots daily, and their feet really didn't need much extra attention. We painted toenails, then fingernails.......on one hand.....and then they insisted that one was enough, the other one being used for eating, and "what if I put my hand into my ugali and as I bring it to my mouth it smells like nail polish?!" Hmmmm, I guess I had never thought about that.
Our two guests, Lisa and Shawn, gave their testimonies after that--their main emphasis being God's goodness in hard times, and our commission to love God and love one another. It was a sweet time of fellowship, and when the testimonies were done, Neema said, "We have learned tonight more about how to depend on God, so we will sing a song about depending on him." We lifted our voices in praise with our Tanzanian sisters. What a blessing!
![]() |
| (l to r, back row first) Me, Lauren, Neema, Lisa, Eliza, Shawn, Milka and baby Ada, Zayanabu, Pendo, Bethany, Baseki and Alicia |



what a true joy to have had the privlidge of getting to know the amazing Helsby's! You all are wonderful, and my heart is fuller with you in it. I miss you all dearly. xoxo
ReplyDeletelove the feet pic... needs to be blown up and put on a wall =)
ReplyDelete