![]() |
| the end of our trip...Kate still looking chipper! |
I learned something new
today. Neema came to visit, presenting
me with a bright orange wrap stamped heartily with zebras. In stark contrast to “what did you bring me
from America?,” Neema used all the profit she might make on the other cloth she
had with her, to buy me that special gift.
She came way out of her way to welcome us back. We shared mutual joy over a cup of chai.
That is not what I learned. As she was leaving, I asked her if she needed to use the bathroom before she headed back into town. “yes,” she graciously replied. Dave gently mentioned that maybe I shouldn’t have asked it that way. He said it is better to ask if you want to greet your aunt and everyone would know what you meant. This had me laughing already when we probed Neema for what might be a better way to ask that sensitive question.
“Well, you might want to ask instead if they want to dig up medicine (natural medicine; roots).
Or visit the post
office.
Or make a phone call.”
And they would know what I
meant?
“Probably.”
My first lesson back. How little I know!
Returning has been a sweet
wonder. I see things that I had grown
accustomed to. The streets have gotten
so narrow! The signs on the public vans
are humorous. I ache again for the man
“walking” on his knees with a stick, and the street boy digging in the gutter
for a treasure. My heart is stirred by
the cheerful welcome of the market ladies I love, even if it’s just because I
buy so many tomatoes. J There is so much dust, on
everything, and mopping is ever so much more rewarding. And my girls curtsy and greet the respectful
greeting, and life seems rich and full as we wade again into this culture.
“In Him we live, and move,
and have our being.”
And the whole earth is full of His glory.
I’m marveling at His glory here
with fresh, thankful eyes.

No comments:
Post a Comment