It keeps coming back to me
lately…this persistent wondering about
the final goal of parenting. I want to
work my way backwards, so to speak—beginning at a goal, figuring out how to get
to that goal. What exactly IS the goal? And if I start with the wrong goal, then I
will surely miss true priorities in the process. And how much does culture play into what our
goals are? Do I want, as I often read in
missionary material, “children that are well adjusted to their home culture”? Well, I really don’t want children that “fit”
in any culture. But I understand the
point. However, I am fairly certain that
aiming low will not produce high results.
And aiming high with standards that are not biblical will just result in
the child’s frustration and feeling like they are never good enough. Truth be told, they aren’t good enough. And
neither is their mother. Isn’t that the
point? If I really am a Christ-follower,
like I claim to be, shouldn’t His wisdom be enough for me? And doesn’t faith grab hold of His promises
and walk into the unknown, unsure, with confidence that their Maker is bound to know more than I am?!
So in our process of figuring
out “school” for the year, our goals come back to the same thing as last year
and the year before. If “he who desires
to be an elder desires a good thing,” then doesn’t it go without saying that
aiming for elder qualities and character traits is a safe bet….and if Titus 2
is supposed to teach women how to live in a wise way, isn’t it more than
adequate to train our little daughters in those things as well? And if “the wisdom of the world is passing
away, but the man of God lives forever,” then my strategy for raising
“successful” children, and even the definition of “success” should look
radically different than my worldly counterpart. Every day I make a choice to
listen to the “wisdom” of the world or God’s wisdom from above. We can take these moments of frustration and
anger and hard words and turn them into opportunities for grace, or we can get
angry ourselves because the math lesson doesn’t get completed and someone is
interrupting grammar, again. The value
of having this many personalities to learn to get along with can get lost in
the ever-sharpening blade of sanctification when I resist His will for me,
which happens to be that very same blade.
Lord, can’t you make me more like Jesus any other way? But, truly, “before I was afflicted I went
away, but now I heed your word. (Psalm 119:67)”
If my goal is that my children cry out for a Redeemer and Savior, then I will not resist the hard things for them either, wanting their lives to be always happy and without trials. In fact, I will embrace those things for and with them, as I encourage them to pursue Someone greater than themselves. And if my goal is that they would live more than “safe” lives, spending their time and money and resources and energy on others instead of themselves, then I have to lead them towards those ends now. Which will come at a great cost to me, because it means I have to look at my own life and my own lack of willingness and beg God to change me first, let me lead in mercy and service. Which is often what I don’t feel like doing.
If my goal is that my children cry out for a Redeemer and Savior, then I will not resist the hard things for them either, wanting their lives to be always happy and without trials. In fact, I will embrace those things for and with them, as I encourage them to pursue Someone greater than themselves. And if my goal is that they would live more than “safe” lives, spending their time and money and resources and energy on others instead of themselves, then I have to lead them towards those ends now. Which will come at a great cost to me, because it means I have to look at my own life and my own lack of willingness and beg God to change me first, let me lead in mercy and service. Which is often what I don’t feel like doing.
Oh God, use my tiny seconds
of a life to raise these children in a way that honors you. So much is at stake—if our children have
seven of their own, I will be reaping what I have sown in 49 little lives in
one generation. Sobering. To have other little ones, no matter how
many, be bearing the fruit of your life is humbling. Let me not grow weary in well doing.
Show me what that looks like in each
moment….another spilled cup of something (I think we might have the record!), a
hurt, a joy, everyday conversation. This
is your idea, this business of
sharing life together with little people, and ever-bigger ones.
Your words are not just empty
words for me. They are, quite literally, my very life (Deut. 32:47).
Strengthen my heart with
grace (Heb.13:9).
“Therefore I will boast all the more
gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.” II
Cor. 12:9



Becky, I love your thoughts and the process you are going through to make yourself and the kids more like Jesus. Lots to think about in your note. Thank you for sharing your heart.
ReplyDeleteWell- my commit does not want to live on this page.
ReplyDeleteI just love you and SO enjoy your insight. Miss y'all something fierce.
comment ;)
ReplyDelete